Monday 19 January 2015

Couture Creativity

Hello Friends!
Let's start a new week with something totally and utterly amazing, shall we? :)
Rebecca - one of the most creative minds I know - is here to show her latest artwork. We keep saying that she's the best Couture Designer in our Team. ;) (just take a look at her previous projects and you will know what we mean)



Hello Everyone!

Rebecca here today to share with you all a mixed media purse which I recently created.
This small plain balsa wood purse had been sitting in my stash for quite some time, just waiting for the right moment to be given some love and crafting affection.
Being a fan of vibrant colours, purses and dangly purse things (I am sure they have a name?), what better project to do than to combine them all together into something amazing. 





To begin I gave the balsa wood bag a light coat of Heavy Gesso (White) and allowed to dry. 


Strips of vintage book paper and washi tape were layered randomly on the front, back and outside edges of the bag. To adhere them to the wood Soft Matte Gel was used. 



To create a small amount of light texture Soft Matte Gel was applied to the outer areas of the bag with a palette knife through the Bubbles stencil.
To create the vibrant colour 4 different colours of Dylusions Ink Spray was applied, shading from blue down to green (Calypso Teal, London Blue, Fresh Lime, Cut Grass). 



It is no secret that I love Art Extravagance Texture Paste in Copper Crackle. If you have not used this product yet, you really must as it is amazing!
On the front of my bag I applied a fairly chunky layer of texture paste and then sprinkled a combination of Copper Glass Glitter, Licorice Glass Beads and small watch parts. I gave them a gentle press to ensure they adhered to the texture paste. With a small amount of Soft Matte Gel I adhered Copper Glass Glitter and Licorice Glass Beads over my material lined Pendant Caps. To finish my Pendant Caps I added two Tassels using jump rings.



Having recently been given a large bag of fabric scraps, I used a few different colours to give my bag edges and flower petals a bit more colour. These were adhered to my bag using Soft Matte Gel.
A black Faber Castell PITT Pen was used to outline all edges, this included lining all the material, petals, title and my texture paste 'dirt'.


I almost left the handle in its original state, but nothing wrong with a bit MORE colour right??
The handle was wrapped in various layers of thin strips of material. In order to seal the outer bag and the handle, I applied a layer of Soft Gloss Gel. Not only did this seal it with an untacky finish, but it also gave it a lovely gloss lustre. 



To adhere my rusty nails, pendant caps and inner flower Mechanicals, I used a small amount of 3D Matte Gel. I created a dangly purse thingy (please someone reply and tell me if these 'thingys' have a name) using mechanicals pendant cap, leaves, a key and some random material scraps and ribbon. 




Products Used:


I ask you all to think outside the box as craft can be worn as an accessory, why not give it a try yourself?
Please if you have any questions at all do not hesitate to contact me, I am more than happy to help out. 

I wish you all a happy and creative day.

~ Rebecca ~

24 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

What a GREAT idea!!!

Maremi's Small Art said...

What an amazing work of art ! Inspirational, creative and innovative, looove it. Beautiful piece, well done my friend xx

famillemarleau said...

This is an amazing piece. I love it. Thanks for sharing, Johanne Lacombe

Creative Tara said...

Gorgeous! Lots of great ideas here!

Tarnished Rose said...

Beautiful!

Marilyn

Colleen said...

Rebecca,
WOW, love the colors and how you pulled it all together. This is amazing and really has inspired me to look at items in a different way. I plan on visiting the wood section of my hobby store.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful!

cLare_beaR_ said...

ooh, i LOVE THAT!

Jeannette v.D. said...

LOVE it !!

Unknown said...

The dangling thingy is called a " fob ". I love the colors!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely gorgeous altered bag, love the colours and those flowers are fantastic. Love the rusty elements too. Tracy x

Unknown said...

So creative and really pretty!

Linda M. Cain said...

A-MA--ZING!!!! WTG Rebecca!

steffi said...

Wow!! Absolutely beautiful :o)

crazy4atc said...

Fabulous! Great tutorial!

Carol and co said...

A piece of Art!!! well done I love it Rebecca! ♥

Kathy Bradley said...

Your purse is absolutely gorgeous and I am loving those colors and all the texture. As someone in the comments section indicated the dangly thing in question was a "fob" - but I much prefer your description of "dangly thing" - much more fun! THanks for sharing!

Katia said...

absolutely awesome and so beautiful!!!

Fragmentos ao Sol said...

This is so original! Love the say you've transformed the wood purse into a whole different accessory.

Sharon George said...

I am so inspired...thank you for sharing this beautiful piece of art. I wish my local craft store carried these materials...guess it's time to place an on line order!!

Jackie PN said...

What a Fabulous inspirational make!! Thanks so much for showing the step outs-")

Carol McCready said...

Your purse is gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing.

wiola_c said...

świetna. Podziwiam mediowanie. :)

BlackDamaskDesigns said...

So creative and stunning every time Rebecca!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...