Thursday 29 September 2016

Joys of DayDreaming - collage

Hi again my dear ones, I hope you are having a great week!
Your submissions for our Creative Team Call made us very busy - emails flooded the mailbox and we were trying hard to catch up with confirming we got them from you - so please be patient if you didn't get confirmation yet... we are trying hard! Thank you so much for this huge, overwhelming response - this makes me feel so proud and humbled at the same time. Thank you so much for your amazing support, my friends!

Today I'm back with one of the projects I'm doing during my classes - Daydreamer Collage. I have to admit this is one of my favourites classes ever, this kind of project, which always makes my heart sing, bringing joy and creative excitement!

20x20 cm (8x8'') collage on canvas

I just love the concept of building all the layers and textures using Gel Mediums, which give beautiful shine and depth and then constructing the crazy floral-industrial head decor, which puts me somewhere between Art Nouveau, Steampunk, and portraits of women of Renaissance...Or somewhere else? Just name it - I'm waiting  to see what you think!


I could be using this profile image over and over and I'm always able to  get inspired and create something a bit different. I'm so glad I asked my husband to take this shot!
With all the elements used, all the colour added - I'm able to feel like an actress in some sort of crazy theatre, being able to try all the costumes I could dream of... isn't that great? At the same time, a portrait like that is a chance to tell a unique, personal story, experience or concept... or it's a way of expressing feelings I love the most!


In fact - this set of techniques works miracles on big scale projects - it is, of course, the matter of longer process, larger number of layers and elements and more patience while painting... and here I'm coming to the point I keep trying to tell my students every time when I can notice they start to stress out while working in the classroom: try the process and techniques, take them home, then think about it all and then use again or repeat on a larger scale!
Trying to create elaborate, dimensional, fully painted project during 1 short class is simply impossible. It's much better to think about the classroom project as an exercise, experiment, even "trial version" and then take it to the next level in the familiar space of your own home studio... Does it make any sense?

I was just thrilled all the projects done by my students in Tours, France this weekend. They certainly were able to let go, create and enjoy - just look at this mind-blowing mini-gallery! Every single one is different, special, personal - yet we all used the same products and techniques!


If you'd like to join me during one of my classes - check my schedule here, in "Live Classes" section of the blog. You can always find the updates on my travels and new class projects there!
More photos from the classroom - as well as creations by me, my super-talented Creative Team and amazing followers - are all together on my Finnabair Instagram account. Enjoy!

Sending you all huge, warm hugs


3 comments:

corinne de france MARCH said...

j'ai adoré ce atelier, de bons souvenirs , love it <3
corinne de france

Craftypurpledragon said...

Wow, this is officially my favourite of all your projects. I love the textures and colours. I have yet to have a go at mixed media as it looks daunting and I just don't know where to start. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to attend one of classes. It would be wonderful to subscribe to an online course if you do one x

Véro said...

wonderful, like ever
and all of our realisations are amazing
you made happiness in my weekend, hugs
Véro

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...